Friday, November 8, 2013

Two Seconds...

The Countdown to the Etsy shop opening is pretty exciting, but not quite as thrilling as my countdown to Thanksgiving break! I don't know what it was about this past work week, but it was one of those where the days seemed like weeks and the week seemed like a month! I caught myself the other day thinking I really didn't want to be at work. I think it was easy to realize because honestly it was the first time this school year I had honestly thought that. Unfortunately, I've continued to feel that way all week. No specific reason…I think it's just getting to that time for a much needed break. I also think it's a time when I need to really focus on God and allow him to work through it with me and get me to the other side.

Last volleyball season I decided to fast every Monday. I knew that once season started and I got extremely busy my relationship and time spent talking with God would suffer. As much as I hated to admit it, I also knew the reality of being "in season". For those of you that have never coached high school girls before, the best way I know how to explain being "in season" is herding cats that suffer from ADHD, forgetfulness, moodiness, and all the day-to-day stresses that come from being a high school girl…oh yeah and you need to fit teaching volleyball, winning, getting along, being responsible, a good student/teammate, and dealing with severe parent blinders and e-mails in there as well. I'm sure one day I'll have a pair of those blinders myself. Don't get me wrong, it's also one of the most rewarding experiences and time of the year for me as well. Which leads me to believe cat herders must feel pretty good about themselves at the end of the day as well.

For the fasting, I would allow myself coffee, water, and juice but nothing else. It really was a growing experience for me, and one that brought me closer to God. Through the fasting, I allowed allotted time to spend in the middle of my day for reflecting on things but the effects did't just stop there. I am a fairly little person, but don't let that fool you…I love to eat. Mondays were no fun…but as my stomach growled or felt incredibly empty, it would remind me why I was hungry…why I hadn't eaten…and in that 2 seconds it reminded me to say "Thanks", or "I'm dragging, you're going to have to sustain me" to my God. It was a constant reminder of my God, and how good He is, how faithful. Those 2 seconds spread throughout my day over and over again became such a sweet and frequent reminder and turned into some of the sweetest moments with my God.

I think sometimes I/we get caught up in needing all this "time", we need to set aside an hour..30 minutes or we haven't done an adequate "quiet time". I've realized that sometimes unfortunately that schedule doesn't work for me…I've realized that sometimes 2 seconds really add up to something significant and special. I often have to remind myself to not get caught up in the legalism of the relationship…just get caught up in the intimate moments or even seconds with my God. I may not fast anymore, but I am learning to take things and feelings like "not wanting to be here" as my reminder to spend those next 2 seconds just saying "thank you"…or maybe even "I need you to help get me through…"Those 2 seconds begin to add up and have become very meaningful to me.

*Our devotion to God isn't measured by how extravagant we behave when we feel Him, but rather how we behave when we don't.

He is faithful to finish

instagram@timmiburns
twitter@ timmiburns
faithfultofinish.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment